BUSINESS ORGANISATION AND BEHAVIOUR
BUSINESS ORGANISATION AND BEHAVIOUR
Academic year 2017/2018
- Course ID
- Teaching staff
- Remigia Spagnolo (Lecturer)
Chiara Maria Succi (Lecturer)
- 1st year
- Course disciplinary sector (SSD)
- SECS-P/07 - economia aziendale
- Formal authority
- Type of examination
Sommario del corso
Course objectivesThis course, cognitive but also highly experiential, has been designed to help students understand the behavior of people at work and make the learning process enjoyable. We will explore a range of perspectives that explain the dynamics of individual, interpersonal, group, and organizational structure and processes, to make sense of today's organisational world. Scientific concepts, theories, teaching methods and ideas, will be delivered to:
- understand the various aspects of human behaviour and cognition, both at the level of groups' dynamics and of individuals' changes within a social system;
- provide students tools and techniques to develop personal awareness about individual and organisational behaviour;
- help students who want to self-fulfil professionally to develop a corporate entrepreneurial mindset and to start a tailored, authentic and personal achievement process toward their professional dream supported by suitable psychological tools and techniques referring to "the psychology of professional dreams fulfilment" (Professional Dreamers Project by Remigia Spagnolo);
- to disseminate knowledge that advances the understanding of how and when to follow, manage, lead, in order to increase personal and organisational effectiveness.
Results of learning outcomesStudents will be able to:
- develop personal and social awareness and reflect about human behavior in organisations;
- acquire relevant conceptual frameworks to better describe and understand dynamics within different organisations;
- assume a critical attitude towards key components of human nature, such as personality, authentic "professional dream" and motivation, influence and power in groups and organisations;
- develop interpersonal skills, which have a fundamental importance of improving both social and individual relationships within teamwork-based organisation.
Learning assessment methodsTopics will be introduced by means of a brief overview at the start of class, followed by class participation:
- Group exercises
- Movies parts and videos viewing
- Case Studies
- Anecdotes and methaphores
ProgramThe course is structured in different topics, which are:
- Introduction to OB
- Motivation and self-motivation
- Personality & Interpersonal skills
- Fulfilling the "professional dream" (Professional Dreamers Project)
- Corporate entrepreneurial mindset
GROUP AND ORGANIZATION LEVEL
- Conflict, Negoziation and Intergroup Behavior
- Group dynamics
- Emotional and Social Intelligence
- Followership, Management, Leadership
Suggested textbooks and readings- Kreitner, R. and Kinicki, A., 2012. Organizational Behavior, McGraw-Hill Education.
- Robbins, S. P. and Judge, T. A., 2002. Essentials of organizational behavior: Prentice Hall Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Goleman, D. (1995) Emotional intelligence, New York: Bantam.
- Briggs-Myers, I., McCaulley, M.H. (1998) Manual: A Guide to the Development and Use of the MBTI, Consulting Psychologist, Palo Alto, CA
Suggested italian books (for italian students) about the "professional dream" and followership and leadership
- Cortese, C.; Spagnolo, R; 2013. Leader e Follower nei gruppi di lavoro, G. Giappichelli Editore, Torino.
- Spagnolo, R; 2013. Sognatori di Professione. Storie di creatività e di Successi, G. Giappichelli Editore, Torino.
- Spagnolo, R; 2017. Un ignoto promettente: realizzare il proprio sogno professionale per un destino ori-geniale, G. Giappichelli Editore, Torino.